Re: KTODO automated TODO lists

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:25:06 +0300
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've refrained from replying to this thread so far, as it seemed to be a
> caricature of a bikeshedding discussion, but for what it's worth, I
> often find myself in the opposite situation when I'm annoyed that
> someone trimmed too much of the discussion in their replies.

After hitting "page down" 3 or 4 times and seeing only quoted text, I then
stop and just ignore the email. Yes, there's been emails I purposely
ignored because of this that had asked me to respond near the end. Oh well.
Then they ask, "why didn't you respond?" pointing out the email I was to
respond to. And I would reply, "I never saw the request because of too much
quoted text".

> Yes, replying to a 3000-lines patches with a full quote ana d a
> Reviewed-by tag at the very bottom, without any other comment, is
> annoying. On the other hand, trimming everything but the few lines to
> which you reply means that it gets much more annoying to jump in the
> discussion in the middle of a mail thread. There's a difference between
> trimming unrelated parts, and removing related content that happens not
> to be the direct subject of a particular reply.

I just replied to an email yesterday that cut too much off, and I had to
make a note about that, and put things back in.

What's worse, is if you are having a technical debate with someone, and
they trim out everything that might go against their argument, but leave
anything that supports their argument. I've seen that happen quite a bit.

I should write a book called "The art of trimming". ;-)

-- Steve