[question] Whats up with loading the GDT in startup_setup_env in x86_64?

Hello,

I really have no clue where to ask these kinds of questions so please
excuse me if this is the wrong mailing list. However, I was working my
way through the linux boot code as I am trying to understand to
somewhat of a degree how Linux booting is done. I have gotten to the
point, right before it switches to virtual address space.

However, there is this one line that just bugs me. Maybe it's an
actual bug (although I doubt it), but the call to `native_load_gdt`
contains a virtual address space ptr, and I simply am wondering why in
the world it is not page faulting. If I change it to be contained
within `fixup_pointer` it still works, and nothing seems to have
changed.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/x86/kernel/head64.c#n617

What's the reason that in this case the pointer is not wrapped in
'fixup_pointer'?

--
Kind regards,
Harm