Re: Yet another newbie hopes to join the fold

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Gideon D'souza wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I'm just another hacking hoping to hack on the kernel.
>
> I've played just a wee bit with toy OS's (from osdev.org), stuff like
> MikeOS etc. I've just begun reading Robert Love's - Linux Kernel
> Development.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1> I've got myself setup with Fedora 20 and I'm good to go, however Im
> somewhat scared by how contrived the kernel bugs are, and I'm
> wondering what kind of work can I do? Or any suggestions as to what I
> can code or write to learn something, maybe write to a log file
> everytime a process is created to understand that bit better?  IOW,
> what toy projects can I do to explore various aspects of the kernel.
>
> 2> I started reading a linux device driver series, but how is a real
> driver written, can a random person get a technical hardware doc and
> go write a driver or is this something done only by a companies that
> manufactures hardware?

There are a number of tools that can be run from within the Linux scripts
directory that can find various kinds of bugs or opportunities for
improvement.

Another option is to look at recent patches and see if those changes can
be applied elsewhere.

You would want to be working on linux-next, to have the most recent
version of everyone's source code.

julia