Re: Creating and sending patch without git

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 01:18:48AM +0530, Kumar Gaurav wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>

> I have fixed several bugs in a program in staging and now want to
> send it to
>
> you before sending to maintainers. But currently i don't have git clone of
>
> current kernel. I had downloaded full tarball of 3.11-rc1 version.
>

> So please tell me if there's a way to formate a mail and create a
> path for the
>
> fix that i did. So that you can review my code.

The old way of creating with diff a patch still works.  It is
described in Documentation/SubmittingPatches.

Mail the patch to yourself first.
Save the emails as raw text including headers and everyting.
cat email.txt | patch -p1

Make sure that works before you send the patch.  Normally email
clients mess everything up.  Mutt works by default but it's the
only email client like that.  Refer to
Documentation/email-clients.txt if you have problems.

But you will find that very soon using the tar ball becomes too old.

Btw, you may as well wait for git.  Don't rush in kernel devel work.

> Curently i'm cloning kernel using git but it seems like it'll take
> forever as
>
> i dnt have very fast Internet connection speed and it seems to
> download around
>
> 1200MB of data from last 2hr i've completed with just 5%. So let me know if
>
> there's way w/o git.

The problem as well with git is that if your connection drops in
the middle then there is no way to recover so you have to restart.

What I did was I had someone tar the .git directory and put it on
a webpage so I could download it with wget which can recover from
a failed connection.  It still ended up corrupted so I had to chop
into into 1MB chunks on both sides, I ran md5sum on the chunks to
see which one was corrrupted and then just downloaded the one I
wanted.  "git clone" sucks for people with bad connections, but
after you have the repository cloned then it's pretty great.

regards,
dan carpenter