Re: [patch 2/3] brcmfmac: fix end of loop check (signedness bug)

On 10/04/2012 08:42 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 06:24:11PM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
On 10/03/2012 08:06 AM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
The problem here is that we loop until "remained_buf_len" is less than
zero, but since it is unsigned, it never is.

"remained_buf_len" has to be large enough to hold the value from
"mgmt_ie_buf_len".  That variable is type u32, but it only holds small
values so I have changed to both variables to int.

Also I removed the bogus initialization from "mgmt_ie_buf_len" so that
GCC can detect if it is used unitialized.  I moved the declaration of
"remained_buf_len" closer to where it is used so it's easier to read.

Hi Dan,

Good catch. I applied the patch internally on our HEAD and had it
reviewed. We did not take moving the declaration as we prefer to
have all variables at the top of the function. It makes it easier to
find what is declared in a function and whether exceeding the local
variable limit mentioned in Chapter 6. Functions of the CodingStyle
(we are exceeding it already ;-) ).

Are you ok with us submitting it? It would be sent out for 3.8 or do
you prefer to have it fixed in 3.7?

Uh, I don't know how hard it is to trigger this bug.  If it's
impossible to trigger then we could wait until 3.8 otherwise I
would tend to merge it into 3.7 given that we haven't hit -rc1 yet.

Hi Dan,

I don't know either, but to safe myself the trouble I will post it to John for 3.7. Thanks.

Gr. AvS