Re: Getting started

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 04:36:24PM -0700, hiren panchasara wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to start working on kernel development and as per everyone's
> guidance I am starting with Janitor project. I am not able to
> understand the TODO list on the janitor project site.
>
> It would be great if someone can explain me how to get started and
> actually work on something.

I'm not sure whether kernel-janitor is a good start.
I might be wrong though.

Actually what I would suggest to you is to involve in a subsystem
in which you are attracted.

A good thing to do is to lurk on bug reports, trying to find the
problems, applying fixes proposed and testing them, trying to fix
it yourself.

Another thing, may be one of the best: most of the subsystems have
people working on experimental projects.

Look at this page on the bottom:

http://lwn.net/Kernel/

(Section Recent kernel patches)

Here you'll find some fresh meat. Start by testing patches
from these experimental branches, report the bugs you
see (you will often see a good batch of bugs), see how they
are fixed. Try also to fix them yourself. And continue on
this process. Try also to help developing enhancements on these
projects. You might start walking on these floors as a blind
man in the beginning but it will become more clear by the time.
Also subscribe to linux kernel mailing list (and specific mailing
lists for the project you involve in) so that you can follow the
hot topics.

There are no secrets, just do it.