Re: warning: ???pci_find_device??? is deprecated

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 05:19:40PM +0100, Ricardo Martins wrote:
> There are 14 drivers in drivers/isdn/hisax/ still using calls to
> pci_find_device() instead of the pci_get_device(). From what I gather, a
> simple sed 's|pci_find_device|pci_get_device|' is enough to fix this,
> since both functions use the same input and give the same output.
> Is this correct?

It's never correct.  If it were that easy (a) there wouldn't be a rename
in the first place and (b) it would have been done with a shell-script
already.

pci_get_device increments a refcount on the pci_dev.  pci_find_device
does not.  Your patch must include calls to pci_dev_put() *when
appropriate*.  Note, for example, that pci_get_device decrements the
refcount on the device passed in.

> Also, since there are 14 drivers with only those 1-line changes, should each
> driver have its own patch or could I send a single patch covering all of
> them?

It's not going to be a 1-line patch, so one per driver.

a retrograde step."