Re: cli()/sti() removal

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:38:27 -0400 M. Asselstine wrote:
>
>  > Looking at Documentation/cli-sti-removal.txt and grepping for these
>  > macros in the kernel tree reveal that things are close to allowing
>  > this task to be completed. I would like to propose that the remainder
>  > of this work be completed, cleaning up documentation and code related
>  > to this deprecation. I am willing to do the work but just wanted to
>  > put a feeler out there to determine if there is any reason not to
>  > proceed. I also wanted to make sure there wasn't anyone else doing
>  > this already.
>
>  Hi,
>
>  The biggest issue is that this isn't a simple grep for and then
>  substitute new strings for the old ones.  If that's all it was,
>  it would have been completed long ago.
>
>  Some actual thought/design has to be done on several of these in
>  order to do the locking correctly in all possible contexts, so if
>  you are up for that, go ahead.  I don't think that anyone else is
>  doing this just now.

Yes I realize that this is more then a simple replacement job and that
it will involve some thought. I think with the small numbers of these
remaining I can devote the necessary time and thought. If not I can at
minimum get a few steps closer to getting rid of these, even if I
manage to get rid of only one or two.

Mark