Re: [GIT PULL] Kbuild updates for v6.9-rc1

* Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       kbuild: simplify dtbs_install by reading the list of compiled DTBs
>       kbuild: deb-pkg: show verbose log for direct package builds
>       kbuild: deb-pkg: make debian/rules quiet for 'make deb-pkg'
>       kbuild: deb-pkg: build binary-arch in parallel
>       kbuild: deb-pkg: call more misc debhelper commands
>       kbuild: rpm-pkg: do not include depmod-generated files
>       kbuild: rpm-pkg: mark installed files in /boot as %ghost

Not sure whether it's related to these commits, but the kernel package
build on Ubuntu is broken currently - both the deb-pkg and bindeb-pkg
targets result in this build failure:

 $ make -j32 deb-pkg

   BTF [M] net/qrtr/qrtr-mhi.ko
   BTF [M] net/qrtr/qrtr-tun.ko
   BTF [M] net/batman-adv/batman-adv.ko
   BTF [M] net/sctp/sctp.ko
   BTF [M] net/mac80211/mac80211.ko
 file
 : No such file or directory
 make[3]: *** [debian/rules:61: binary-image] Error 255
 dpkg-buildpackage: error: make -f debian/rules binary subprocess returned exit status 2
 make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.package:121: deb-pkg] Error 2
 make[1]: *** [/home/mingo/tip.localinstall/Makefile:1541: deb-pkg] Error 2
 make: *** [Makefile:240: __sub-make] Error 2

Notes:

- Yes, those weird 'file' and ': No such file or directory' strings are
  pasted as-is. No idea what it's about, and the build log doesn't say.

- The .config is an unremarkable .config derived from Ubuntu's own kernel
  config - can send it separately to you if it matters.

- Software version is Ununtu 23.10 with the latest updates. Can send
  details if it matters. Is there an easy Make command to run to extract
  the software versions you'd need, instead of having to manually extract
  it from a zillion tools and packages? 'make build-environment' or so?

- The kernel package build is also incredibly slow, as reported by others
  back in January AFAICS, which makes bisection impractical. There's no
  other build failure visible in the build log.

  I did one strace of the build (which is even more incredibly slow, takes
  about an hour literally on a 4GHz box with 64 CPUs), which has shown this
  weird instance shortly before the failure:

      3027593 newfstatat(AT_FDCWD, "deb-pkg", 0x7ffeef9f9960, 0) = -1 ENOENT  (No such file or directory)

  ... which might or might not be normal Make behavior.

Thanks,

	Ingo