Re: [GIT PULL] Kbuild fixes for v6.8-rc3

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 at 05:40, Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  - Replace tabs with spaces when followed by conditionals for
>    future GNU Make versions

This is horrid.

Now, the whole "whitespace type matters" is broken in Make anyway, so
clearly this is a fundamental make problem, but this commit makes
things worse by making the tab replacement use eight spaces, so it
really visually is entirely indistinguishable.

Don't make a 'make' problem worse by not visually distinguishing tabs
from spaces.

IOW, those "that can't be a tab" cases should have used pretty much
_anything_ but 8 spaces. Yes on indentation of nested 'if' statements,
but no on then using something that visually makes no sense.

IOW, those nested if-statements should use perhaps just 2-4 spaces
instead. That tends to match what we sometimes see in C files too, and
it is visually very clearly not a tab with the kernel coding rules
(yes, yes, some people set tabstops to smaller values, that's _their_
problem).

I've pulled this, but please fix it, and don't make an insane Makefile
whitespace situation worse.

                Linus