Re: SymSearch can cause make nconfig to segfault

On 11/8/23, Randy Dunlap wrote:
On 11/7/23, Jesse T wrote:
On 11/7/23 Vivien Gallinaro wrote:

For a fresh 6.6 kernel :
$ cd linux-6.6
$ make mrproper
$ make nconfig 2>../blarb
(<F8> x86 <enter>)
$ reset

I'm assuming "reset" here means you got put back into your shell and are
resetting the terminal state.

Exactly.

I can not recreate this error on my machine unfortunately are you
using the tar release?
What distro are you using?

Gentoo, but checking with the (then) stable 6.6 tarball.

I also cannot recreate this issue.
FWIW.

More info needed.

That was good news. I tried to investigate a little deeper with strace, gdb… a little too deep for me actually. Then I eventually remembered: even though my install is pretty fresh, I've been a bit sloppy on maintenance, leaving one stuff to the side to catter to another, a few times over. One global update later — meaning I only have /usr/src in a corny state, now — I don't get the segfault either. Sorry, pebkac.

Thanks for your time,
VG