Specifying CFLAGS for a directory on the command line

Hello kbuild maintainers & list,

Years ago I used to be able to specify additional CFLAGS for a specific
subdirectory on the command line, which I used for enabling gcov
profiling without editing the subdirectory makefile, like so:

  make GCOV_PROFILE_fs_bcachefs=y

But this stopped working ages ago, I believe in the 3.x era. Does anyone
know if there's a more modern way to do this?

Cheers,
Kent