Re: Module build problems with gmake 3.x

On Sun, 12 Sept 2021 at 09:04, Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 7:45 AM Markus Mayer <mmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Here is what I have.
> >
> > $ cat Makefile
> >
> > export KERNEL_DIR = /local/users/mmayer/linux-5.4
>

> From this line, I understand how to reproduce the case.
>
> The key is 'linux-5.4'

Sorry about that. I am glad to not be dealing with 4.9 that much
anymore, so 5.4 is still "new-ish" to me. And 5.10 is the bleeding
edge in my world. Goes to show that everything is relative.

> In your initial email, you mentioned that this happened on
>
>   * newish kernel  (>=5.1)
>
> So, I used the latest kernel for testing,
> but this does not happen after
> bcf637f54f6d2515d4c9c81808faf01848916152
> because the M= parameter is parsed before the sub-make.
>
> By running your test code on linux 5.4, yes,
> I can observe the same symptom.

Thanks for trying out a 5.4 kernel.

> The root case seams, GNU Make changes
> the origin of variables to 'environment'.
> I do not know if it is an intended behavior.
> (maybe, better to ask the GNU Make maintainer)

[...]

> So, this is what your can tell:
>
> - The behavior of the -e option seems to have a weird
>     side-effect.
>     Later, I will ask this to the GNU Make maintainer
>     to see whether it is a bug or not.
>
> - I do not want to support the -e option.  I do not think
>   it is a commonly-used option because you are the
>   first person who asked this since Linux 5.4.
>   (notice Linux 5.4 is almost two years old)
>
>  - If you use the latest kernel
>     (after bcf637f54f6d251), you will be able to build
>     external modules with the -e option.
>     But, I recommend you to not use -e.
>
>  - If you still insist on the -e option on Linux 5.4,
>     you can cherry-pick bcf637f54f6d251
>     (but it is out of scope of the support of the community)
>
> Maybe, better to consider removing the -e option.

I will forward the recommendation to see what can be done. Cherry
picking the patch you are recommending should tide us over in the
meantime. I will give it a shot.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
-Markus