Building a Linux kernel with make deb-pkg and own modifications

Hello out there, Im struggling at the moment with the attempt to build a
Debian kernel with some small changes I made. I got my kernel from
kernel.org untared it, used the old config for "make oldconfig". Then I
used make -j3 deb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-debian KDEB_PKGVERSION=$(make
kernelversion)-1. This worked and produced the working kernel as Debian
package (as well as some other packages ...)
But after I made some small changes within the kernel sourcecode, and
tried to rebuild the kernel, I got the error: dpkg-source: error:
unrepresentative changes to source.
I also removed the older packages from the upper directory, which was
suggested by some sites, same result.

How can I make some changes within the kernel and build a Debian kernal
package?

Thank you in advance

BR Chris