Re: Building stuff only in arch/x86/boot/compressed

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 4:51 PM Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Sedat,
>

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:28 PM Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Masahiro,
> >
> > I wanted to test the patch-series "x86/boot: Remove runtime
> > relocations from compressed kernel" version 4 against Linux v5.8-rc5.
> >
> > This modifies/touches stuff in arch/x86/boot/compressed.
> >
> > How can I just test the series the fast way?
> >
> > I tried...
> >
> > make $make_opts vmlinux
>
> This does not build
> under arch/x86/boot/compressed/.
>

> > That takes far too long - unsure it does what I want.
>

> bzImage wrapps vmlinux.
> (setup + self-extracting-vmlinux)
>
> So, you cannot build the decompressor only.
>
> See this dependency:
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/v5.7/arch/x86/Makefile#L259
>

> > Thanks in advance.
>

> $ make bzImage
>
> ... is the best I can suggest.
>

> As I said above, Kbuild must build
> vmlinux before bzImage
> (so it takes far too long)
> but you can skip building modules.
>

> > Regards,
> > - Sedat -
> >
> > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/project/lkml/list/?series=&submitter=23508

Thanks Masahiro,

I remembered you said just look at "make help".

So, I tried "make bzImage".
After 15mins I stopped the build and did a full new kernel build which
unfortunately failed on the last minutes when doing the
arch/x86/boot/compressed stuff.

- Sedat -