Re: make_kernelconfig fails in OpenWRT buildroot

On 04.08.19 05:57, Masahiro Yamada wrote:

Hi,

See line 7-20 of scripts/kconfig/mconf-cfg.sh,
it tries pkg-config first. If pkg-config cannot find ncurses,
it falls back to some hard-coded install paths.

Whoooh! One of the most important lessons I've learned aeons ago when crosscompiling comes in:

Always use pkg-config exclusively, whenever you can (in worst case,
let distros add .pc files to packages that yet miss it) and *never*
try to guess anything.

Crosscompile environments need to tweak a lot of things, especially
pathes - pkg-config is the perfect central knob for that (aeons ago
I've added sysroot support to pkg-config, so it automatically adds the
sysroot prefix to all pathes).

Note that we have two pkg-config instances (.pc file sets) involved
here: one for the target, one for the host. (in crosscompile environment, $HOST_PKG_CONFIG shall give the command for the host,
$PKG_CONFIG for the target).

Not sure why the pkg-config doesn't find ncurses in this case, but
I suspect a mixup between host and target.

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
info@xxxxxxxxx -- +49-151-27565287