Re: [uml-devel] RFC: Shouldn't "./linux --version" always print the the git commit id

On 10/26/2013 09:56 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM, Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster@xxxxxx> wrote:

> number of commits on top of the tag.
>

>>> You don't have CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y in your .config?
>>>
>>> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>>>
>> I do :
>> tfoerste@n22 ~/devel/linux $ ./linux --showconfig | grep AUTO
>> CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y
>>
>> pls look here :
>>

>> $ ./linux --version
>> 3.11.0-00001-g65984ff-dirty
>>
>> versus
>>
>> $ git checkout HEAD~1
>> Previous HEAD position was 65984ff... um: hostfs: Fix writeback
>> HEAD is now at 6e46645... Linux 3.11
>>
>> $ make -j4 ARCH=um CC="ccache gcc"
>>
>> $ ./linux --version
>> 3.11.0
>
> If there are no additional commits on top of the tag, no number and commit
> ID are printed. I guess the rationale is that tags are global, hence present
> in all clones, so there's no need to tell what commit ID the tag corresponds
> to.
>
>> which correlates to
>>
>> $ git describe
>> v3.11
>>
>> $ git describe --long
>> v3.11-0-g6e46645
>
> This is not UML-specific. If you want to change this, you have to involve
> the kbuild people (CC added).
>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
>                         Geert

Well, the reationale behind my idea comes from the (stupid) logic of one
of my bisect scripts. I used there the commit id derived from the UML
linux exe as a suffix for gdb back trace files created during the bisect
process.
Sure - logic can be easily adapted and was in the mean while.
But IMO it would be more stringent to have always the commit id
presented in the version string for similar cases.

--
MfG/Sincerely
Toralf Förster