Re: Kconfig test scripts

Sam, All,

On 2013-07-20 16:19 +0200, Sam Ravnborg spake thusly:
> Often when I hack on Kconfig I have missed a set of test cases,
> that would allow me to verify that I did not introduce any regressions.
>
> I have not anything fancy in my mind and I spent
> a little time on the attached today.
> The following is obviously missing a lot a features - but this
> would allow me to get started adding simple test cases.
>
> The idea is that each test cases consist of a full
> Kconfig file and the resulting output.
>
> Anyone have something better than this,
> or maybe some brilliant ideas how to do this much better?

How would one express a test for 'choice'? Test randconfig?

I'm all for a test-suite. But we need to be able to test two things:
  - the parser
  - the behaviour

For the first, your static tests are doing (can do) fine.
For the second, we'd need something a bit more sophisticated.

For example, we need a way to tell that one of such or such symbol is
expected, but not both at the same time. Eg, for a choice between A and
B:
    CONFIG_A=y | CONFIG_B=y     (inclusive OR, for tristate choice)
or:
    CONFIG_A=y ^ CONFIG_B=y     (exclusive OR, for boolean choice)

Also, for randconfig, we'd need to be able to repeatedly run a test and
check symbols probability. Eg:
    CONFIG_A=y [25] ^ CONFIG_B=y [75]

Of course, allow for a slight distortion of a few percent to account for
bias in the RNG).

No idea (yet) on how to do that...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.