Re: Silent failure when missing bc

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 09:12:32AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 05/02/2013 07:44 AM, Ian Kumlien wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A dependency on bc was added at some point during the 3.9 development.
> >
> > My machines runs a git forest which contains both stable and Torvalds
> > mainline. So any kernel version is only a:
> > 	git fetch --all && git checkout <tag> away
> >
> > When switching from v3.8.5 to v3.9-rc7 i ran in to a odd thing.
> >
> > It seemed to build fine, make install and modules_install was all fine
> > as well but rebooting revealed that 3.8.5 had been installed again
> > instead.
>
> Are you *sure* that the build didn't stop and you just didn't notice it?
>  That is what the above sounds like.  Keep in mind that in a parallel
> build there can be quite a few lines of output after the *** failure line...

Damn it, i didn't see it in the 30+ line window, but yes there is a
error message.

Must have been more tired than i thought...

> > Doing make clean and rebuilding revealed that I was missing bc ;)
> >
> > I have tried to find exactly where it's run since then, i have found the
> > cmd_bc section but not found what triggers it... Due to lack of time and
> > energy, I hearby report this bug!
> >
> > This is about as far as i got:
> > kernel/Makefile:135:quiet_cmd_bc  = BC      $@
> > kernel/Makefile:136:      cmd_bc  = bc -q $(filter-out FORCE,$^) > $@
> >
> > Is there any detaled information and or instructions on kbuild btw?
>
> The disconcerting thing here, of course, is if the build would have
> looked like it completed without the file actually being generated.  It
> should have failed either to generate the file, or it should have
> produced an empty header which would have caused a failure further down
> the line...

Imho it should have had bc as a dependency and failed to run that step.

Ie instead of "/bin/sh: bc: command not found"

Do we know which tools we need? could we add them as "make
dependencies"?