Re: strange behaviour from "make localmodconfig" throws out ath9k stuff

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> Can you add this patch and see if it fixes your issue. If so, can I
> add your "tested-by" to this patch?

   here's what i can verify.  if i start with stock linux 3.9 and copy
in a known good .config with ATH-related stuff, here's the situation
immediately after the copy:

$ grep CONFIG_ATH .config
CONFIG_ATH_COMMON=m
CONFIG_ATH_CARDS=m
# CONFIG_ATH_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_ATH5K is not set
# CONFIG_ATH5K_PCI is not set
CONFIG_ATH9K_HW=m
CONFIG_ATH9K_COMMON=m
# CONFIG_ATH9K_BTCOEX_SUPPORT is not set
CONFIG_ATH9K=m
CONFIG_ATH9K_PCI=y
# CONFIG_ATH9K_AHB is not set
# CONFIG_ATH9K_DEBUGFS is not set
CONFIG_ATH9K_RATE_CONTROL=y
# CONFIG_ATH9K_HTC is not set
# CONFIG_ATH6KL is not set
$

which is fine and represents a valid collection of settings for 3.9.
but here's where things go wrong in the original case:

$ make localmodconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
using config: '.config'
vboxnetadp config not found!!
vboxnetflt config not found!!
vboxdrv config not found!!
vboxpci config not found!!
#
# configuration written to .config
#
$ grep CONFIG_ATH .config
# CONFIG_ATH_CARDS is not set   <-- obviously wrong, all my ATH stuff is gone
$

  if i apply your patch and do this all over again, then i retain all
the ATH-related stuff after the "make localmodconfig":

$ grep CONFIG_ATH .config
CONFIG_ATH_COMMON=m
CONFIG_ATH_CARDS=m
# CONFIG_ATH_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_ATH5K is not set
# CONFIG_ATH5K_PCI is not set
CONFIG_ATH9K_HW=m
CONFIG_ATH9K_COMMON=m
# CONFIG_ATH9K_BTCOEX_SUPPORT is not set
CONFIG_ATH9K=m
CONFIG_ATH9K_PCI=y
# CONFIG_ATH9K_AHB is not set
# CONFIG_ATH9K_DEBUGFS is not set
CONFIG_ATH9K_RATE_CONTROL=y
# CONFIG_ATH9K_HTC is not set
# CONFIG_ATH6KL is not set
$

  so the patch appears to resolve at least that specific issue.

rday