Re: strange behaviour from "make localmodconfig" throws out ath9k stuff

On Mon, 2013-04-29 at 11:37 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   again, looks good, so:
>
> $ make localmodconfig
> using config: '.config'
> vboxnetadp config not found!!
> vboxnetflt config not found!!
> vboxdrv config not found!!
> vboxpci config not found!!
> ... snip, nothing related to atheros stuff ...
> $
>
>   but now this doesn't look good:
>
> $ grep CONFIG_ATH .config
> # CONFIG_ATH_CARDS is not set
> $
>
> i don't think *that* should have happened.  on, and one last data
> point.
>
>   if i start fresh with "make defconfig", and go through the same
> steps, "make localmodconfig" will *still* throw away the ATH-related
> stuff, that you can verify for yourself. so it would seem to be
> something in the structure of the Kconfig files for atheros stuff.

Found the bug.

In drivers/net/wireless/ath/Kconfig:

---
if ATH_CARDS

config ATH_DEBUG
        bool "Atheros wireless debugging"
        ---help---
          Say Y, if you want to debug atheros wireless drivers.
          Right now only ath9k makes use of this.

source "drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath5k/Kconfig"
source "drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/Kconfig"
source "drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170/Kconfig"
source "drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath6kl/Kconfig"
source "drivers/net/wireless/ath/ar5523/Kconfig"
source "drivers/net/wireless/ath/wil6210/Kconfig"

endif
---

The bug is in the way localmodconfig handles source files. As I wrote
the code to only have one file descriptor open at a time, I just stored
all the "source" files in an array as I parsed the current source file.
At the end, I ran the same code to parse the source files that were
found.

Unfortunately, I didn't take into account that the "if" statement would
surround including source files. Thus, the dependency work did not
detect that the "if ATH_CARDS" was required for the included files.

I don't know of another way to fix this besides just opening the files
as they are found. I might as well do that, and remove the "delayed"
logic. I'll just have to have multiple file descriptors opened in this
case. Shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Thanks,

-- Steve