Re: strange behaviour from "make localmodconfig" throws out ath9k stuff

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

> Robert, All,
>
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 01:30:34PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   to recap, current status of kernel source:
> >
> > $ git show
> > commit d7d7271f421f1e45289f2a737c7f636c02c673ce
> > Merge: 96edcf3 c95789e
> > Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date:   Fri Apr 26 08:17:07 2013 -0700
> >
> >   next:
> >
> > $ make distclean
> >
> >   next:
> >
> > $ make allmodconfig
> >
> >   next:
> >
> > $ make localmodconfig
> >
> >   at which time i get asked four questions that i respond to manually:
> >
> > User namespace (USER_NS) [N/y/?] (NEW)
> > Require conversions between uid/gids and their internal representation (UIDGID_STRICT_TYPE_CHECKS) [N/y/?] (NEW)
> > BT8XX GPIO abuser (GPIO_BT8XX) [N/m/y/?] (NEW)
> > EVM support (EVM) [N/y/?] (NEW)
> >
> > for which i simply hit ENTER each time, and no errors. *however*, if i
> > run "make localmodconfig" a second time (which theoretically should be
> > acceptable, correct?), that's when i get:
> >
> > $ make localmodconfig
> > using config: '.config'
> > WARNING: ATH9K_HW is required, but nothing in the
> >   current config selects it.
> > WARNING: ATH_COMMON is required, but nothing in the
> >   current config selects it.
> > WARNING: ATH9K_COMMON is required, but nothing in the
> >   current config selects it.
> > module ath9k did not have configs CONFIG_ATH9K
> > module ath did not have configs CONFIG_ATH_COMMON
> > module ath9k_hw did not have configs CONFIG_ATH9K_HW
> > module ath9k_common did not have configs CONFIG_ATH9K_COMMON
> > #
> > # configuration written to .config
> > #
> > $
> >
> >   i assume it should be easy for someone else to reproduce this, but
> > if you want me to do any more testing later this afternoon, let me
> > know.
>
> I've bisected v3.7 (good) to v3.8 (already bad) with your lsmod, and
> using this script:
>     #!/bin/bash
>     set -e
>     git clean -dX
>     git clean -d
>     make allmodconfig
>     make LSMOD=/home/ymorin/r.pj.day.lsmod localmodconfig
>     grep ATH9K .config
>
> (and manually answering the few new questions), and it turned up the
> following cset as the culprit:
>     23c1d7f: wireless: allow Atheros card to not depend on ath.ko
>
> Not sure where to go from there... :-/

  see my later email, it might be fairly simple and i'll look at this
later today. i started to suspect that it was something related to a
strange change in the dependencies related to atheros, and from what
you just wrote, that looks exactly like what it is.

rday