Adding new tools

Hi,

I am part of a research group where we have created a set of modules,
and I have integrated them in our linux repo.

Now, I am trying to do the same with the tools we use to extract
statistics from those modules, configure them, etc. I haven't found
any docs on how to integrate something in the tools dir.

Is there any type of standard I can follow, any rule (like not using
autotools), etc.? I already have those tools configured with
autotools, and I wonder which is the way you recommend to integrate
that.

If you can provide me any clue I would be thankful,

Javier Domingo