Re: make headers_install fail when path is too long

On 13-03-07 03:26 AM, Michal Marek wrote:
Dne 6.3.2013 17:27, Nicolas Dichtel napsal(a):
-        $(PERL) $< $(installdir) $(SRCARCH) $(input-files); \
[...]
+    @echo $(input-files) > $(INSTALL_HDR_PATH)/.input-files

Are you sure this is a reliable fix? What make does is to spawn

/bin/sh -c 'echo <long list of files> > usr/include/.input-files'

It's what I was referencing in my original email. It works here,
and fixes our install of headers in previously failing environments.
But yes, it does shuffle the args enough to get around the limit, but
there's still a way to have even deeper and longer path names that
could cause failures.

I experimented with loops, and other options as well. But any
construct like "for f in $(input-files)", is both slow and explodes
on the argument length limits just like the original.

here. So I guess that it works for you just because "sh -c" is shorter
than "sh -c 'perl scripts/headers_install.pl...'".

Partly, yes, but we are more than a few characters over the limit
in my testing. So it shouldn't be the whole story.

Cheers,

Bruce

Michal