How to share variables with a sub-make command in a Kbuild Makefile?

Hi,
I am trying to create a patch that involves a call to a submake and
sharing a variable with it.

The the top level Makefile is arch/arm/Makefile and has something like:
dtbs: scripts
   $(Q)$(MAKE) -e $(build)=$(boot)/dts MACHINE=$(MACHINE) dtbs
   # Make use of share-var modified by the submake
   echo $(share-var)

In the sub-make Makefile, I want to modify a variable and have it
reflect in the top Makefile
dtbs: $(addprefix $(obj)/, $(dtb-y))
   $(Q)rm -f $(obj)/../*.dtb
   share-var += "new stuff"

I tried exporting share-var from the top-level Makefile but it doesn't work.
Is there an easy way to do this?
How does the kernel do it with obj-y variables where it recursively
has the variable updated?

The reason I need this variable in the top-level Makefile is because
there are other targets in the top-level Makefile (arch/arm/Makefile)
that need access to this variable for its purpose.

Thanks in advance,
  Joel Fernandes