Re: [RFC] possible killing of boilerplate headers by asm-generic reorg

On 7.8.2011 23:00, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> However, having it for the default case for those full header files is
> just annoying - as you say, those idiotic one-liner <asm/bar.h> files
> that just include the asm-generic one are annoying, and quite frankly,
> the current work-around for them (that "generic-y" thing) is not
> really any better. It's just another way to do the same broken thing.

It replaces oneline files with a multiline list in a single file, so it
makes no difference linewise, but at least one arch has it all in a
single place.

> So I would suggest we just start a new directory, something like
> include/default, and add it as the last entry to the search path. Then
> we start populating it with <asm/xyz.h> files, and start removing the
> silly 'generic-y' workaround. Let's just use the search-path instead.

But we would still have to generate the wrapper for userspace headers,
we can't rely on any -I/usr/include/default in userspace. So
Makefile.headersinst would still need some special handling for these
headers.

Michal