Re: Specific processing during user space header generation

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 03:55:56PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 09:54 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 04:06:07PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >> I'm stuck with a problem where a header needs specific postprocessing in
> >> addition to what headers_install.pl does.  Is that possible as things
> >> currently sit, or will that require changes to the core kbuild scripts?
> > You will nned to patch core kbuild.
> > We do no processing apart from headers_install.pl - so there is no place
> > to hook in.
> > And headers_install.pl has not been prepared to do any tricks like that.
>
> Would you (plural) consider a patchset looking something like:
>
> when processing foo.h, also look for foo.h.pl; if so, invoke that from
> inside headers_install.pl?

The purpose of headers_install is to install the existing kernel headers
and during the installation process do some minimal adjustments to make
then suit userspace consumption.

What you suggest smells like something else - care to explain what
you have in mind?

	Sam