Translating a .S to a .c and back fails

 I've recently posted a patch to translate ARM's delay.S in arch/arm/lib
into a C file[1]. This works fine and I can build the tree with the .S
file and then build the tree with the .C file. After I do that I can't
switch back to the .S version of the tree without first removing the
.delay.o.cmd file in my build output directory. It seems that the build
system can't recognize when a C file turns into an assembly file.

Anyone else seen this problem? I admit it is pretty rare, but it becomes
annoying with things like automated building, bisecting, etc. where I
don't make clean all the time.

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/27/605