Re: [RFC] kconfig: simplify select-with-unmet-direct-dependency warning

On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 21:24 +0100, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> This is an attempt to simplify the expressing printed by kconfig when a
> symbol is selected but still has direct unmet dependency.

I haven't analysed the patch but I gave it a try and the result is a bit
weird.

I tried an ARMv7 platform which has CPU_V7 enabled. This selects
CPU_32v6K. The simplified entries:

config CPU_V7
	bool "Support ARM V7 processor"
	select CPU_32v6K

I changed CPU_32v6K to not depend on CPU_V7:

config CPU_32v6K
	bool "Support ARM V6K processor extensions"
	depends on CPU_V6

There is another option which isn't set in my config, however it gets
reported:

config CPU_MMP2
	bool
	select CPU_V6
	select CPU_32v6K

And the error kbuild reports with this patch is:

warning: (CPU_V7 && CPU_MMP2) selects CPU_32v6K which has unmet direct
dependencies (CPU_V6)

The weird thing is the inclusion of CPU_MMP2 above. First of all, it
isn't set in my .config. Secondly, it selects CPU_V6 so CPU_32v6K would
have met its dependency.

--
Catalin