Re: [RFC 0/2] Factor Kconfig's prefix and package name

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1) "Kernel" appear in diverse feedback texts
>  - Re-phrase this to refer to the configuration.
>    You know that you change the configuration
>    of kernel/buildroot/ptxdist/whatever and
>    there is no value of repeating this info in
>    the feedback texts.
>  - Re-phrasing have the benefit that once the
>    translators pick up the new version the
>    translated text is valied for all users.
>    This would not be the case if you replace
>    the project name.

will do tomorrow.

> 2) References to kernel + version in title in frontends
>  - Use the (today unused) mainmenu entry to pick up the
>    title.
>    Consider following example:
>
> mainmenu "Linux kernel configuration v$KERNELVERSION"
>
> config KERNELVERSION
>        string
>        option env=KERNELVERSION
>
>   With the above exampe we no longer hardcode
>   the title and we use already existing features
>   to get the version from the environment.
>   The expansion of "$KERNELVERSION" to the value
>   of the symbol is something I only see supported
>   by "mainmenu".
>  - This should also address the cases where we
>   referer to the project name/version in the
>   .config file (see confdata.c).

a first half has been posted here, the another one is written and has
been sent privately (for now, it still needs improvement).

> 3) Do not hardcode "CONFIG_"
>  - I suggest to introduce a single define named "CONFIG_".
>    All the places that hardcode the length should be
>    replaced by strlen(CONFIG_).
>  - The define should be conditional like this:
> #if !defined(CONFIG_)
> #define CONFIG_ "CONFIG_"
> #endif
>    In this way other users can just use -DCONFIG_=BR2_ as they prefer.

will do tomorrow.

Beside that, the hardcoded string will need to be removed from
{g,m,n,q}conf.c, that should be trivial.

 - Arnaud