Re: Patch eb8f844c "kbuild: specify absolute paths for cscope" breaks cscope use on NFS mounted source tree

On 5.3.2010 11:21, Ian Campbell wrote:
> I keep my kernel source tree on a more powerful build box where I run my
> builds etc (including "make cscope") but run my editor from my
> workstation with an NFS mount to the source. This worked fine for me
> using relative paths for cscope. Using absolute paths in cscope breaks
> this previously working setup because the root path is not the same on
> both systems. I guess this is similar to moving the source tree around.

I was aware that moving the source tree around would break the cscope
database. I hoped that nobody would do this on a daily basis, but
nfs-mounting the tree is essentially the same (an makes perfect sense to
do).

> Without wanting to start a flamewar it really sounds to me like we are
> working around a vim (or cscope) bug here, emacs with cscope bindings
> works fine in this configuration.
>
> Could we at least have an option to allow both variants to work? Would
> setting "make O=$(pwd) cscope" (where pwd is the source tree) not have
> provided a workaround for people who needed absolute paths for whatever
> reason?

Daniel, how do we proceed here? Would
$ make O=. cscope
plus maybe a comment suggesting this, be an acceptable workaround for
your use case (which was running vim from within a subdirectory, IIRC).

Michal