Re: 2.6.32: scripts/kconfig/streamline_config.pl :Malfunction

Hi,

Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 19:46 +0100, Patrick Ringl wrote:
Hi,

I have encountered the following malfunction of the recently added
streamline_config script. When running the following occurs:

ack:~/linux-2.6.32# scripts/kconfig/streamline_config.pl >config_strip

Note, I usually use "make localmodconfig", I know you know that, but in
case anyone else is using this as a reference.

using config: '.config'
Use of uninitialized value $ksource in concatenation (.) or string at
scripts/kconfig/streamline_config.pl line 117.
dock config not found!!
module pata_sis did not have configs CONFIG_PATA_SIS

As a result: it couldnt map one currently loaded module properly and the
other module had been properly mapped, but somehow the
dependency/integrity check triggered it, since it wasnt enabled properly.

I checked the output of the script and yea as I assumed CONFIG_ACPI_DOCK
is not set.

'dock'  refers to:

ack:~/linux-2.6.32# modinfo dock
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/acpi/dock.ko

and the belonging Kconfig file says:

config ACPI_DOCK
        bool "Dock"
        depends on EXPERIMENTAL
        help
          This driver supports ACPI-controlled docking stations and
removable
          drive bays such as the IBM Ultrabay and the Dell Module Bay.

The same with 'pata_sis' (CONFIG_PATA_SIS is also not set) ..

ack:~/linux-2.6.32# modinfo pata_sis
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ata/pata_sis.ko

and the belonging Kconfig file:

config SATA_SIS
        tristate "SiS 964/965/966/180 SATA support"
        depends on PCI
        select PATA_SIS
        help
          This option enables support for SiS Serial ATA on
          SiS 964/965/966/180 and Parallel ATA on SiS 180.
          The PATA support for SiS 180 requires additionally to
          enable the PATA_SIS driver in the config.
          If unsure, say N.

In the end (if one ignored the two missing modules) a make
silentoldconfig didnt even work.

How did it fail?

Well it started the configuration itself all over thus the first question that waited was:

Kernel compression mode
> 1. Gzip (KERNEL_GZIP) (NEW)
 2. Bzip2 (KERNEL_BZIP2) (NEW)
 3. LZMA (KERNEL_LZMA) (NEW)
choice[1-3?]: ^Cmake[1]: *** [silentoldconfig] Interrupt

What I did to reproduce this was using the standard kernel config of
debian lenny's amd64 branch.

I don't know where to find that config, could you email it to me, or
post a url of it. Also send me your lsmod as well.

It is located in /boot/config-`uname -r` if you have Debian installed. Accessing it from the outside, you have to download the appropriate linux-image or rather the patch where Debian stores it's changed:

http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/l/linux-2.6/linux-2.6_2.6.26-19lenny2.diff.gz

..But just for the record: I copied the kernelconfig to .config in the kernel source dir just to be sure ;-)
PS: I wrote such software myself, but I am going a totally different
approach. Your idea is not that bad actually (I am enabling kernel
config options and I am tracking all dependencies properly, while you
can just ignore them, since your script only disables stuff).

Yeah, I toyed with doing the dependency game, but that got quite complex
and fragile. I found the safest thing is to just turn off modules that
you don't want. 99% of the time, that's good enough.

-- Steve
Heh, yea the dependency 'game' is quite wodge tho .. but there's other methods of fetching them than parsing the Kconfig files .. I didnt follow THIS approach after playing a lot with it ..

PS: lsmod is attached
Module                  Size  Used by
ext2                   66576  1
ipmi_devintf           13200  2
ipmi_si                43628  1
ipmi_msghandler        38520  2 ipmi_devintf,ipmi_si
snd_pcsp               14588  0
snd_pcm                81800  1 snd_pcsp
snd_timer              25744  1 snd_pcm
snd                    63688  3 snd_pcsp,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              12064  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         13072  1 snd_pcm
rng_core                8968  0
i2c_i801               13596  0
i2c_core               27936  1 i2c_i801
serio_raw               9988  0
psmouse                42268  0
shpchp                 34208  0
pci_hotplug            32056  1 shpchp
i5000_edac             12936  0
edac_core              49560  3 i5000_edac
evdev                  14208  0
ext3                  125072  1
jbd                    51240  1 ext3
mbcache                12804  2 ext2,ext3
raid1                  24192  2
md_mod                 80292  3 raid1
usbhid                 45792  0
hid                    41792  1 usbhid
ff_memless              9224  1 usbhid
ahci                   33036  6
ehci_hcd               36108  0
uhci_hcd               25760  0
bnx2                   63496  0
firmware_class         12544  1 bnx2
thermal_sys            17728  0
tg3                    97156  0
sd_mod                 29376  8
sata_nv                28680  0
sata_sis               10500  0
pata_sis                7936  1 sata_sis
sata_via               13060  0
ata_piix               22660  0
libata                165600  6 ahci,sata_nv,sata_sis,pata_sis,sata_via,ata_piix
dock                   14112  1 libata
piix                   12424  0 [permanent]
ide_core              128284  1 piix
3w_xxxx                28064  0
scsi_mod              161016  3 sd_mod,libata,3w_xxxx