Re: Update/override CONFIG_ during kbuild?

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:26:51 +1000 John Williams wrote:
>
> > Is there a mechanism to override or update a CONFIG_ value during the
> > make process?
> >
> > In the MicroBlaze architecture we have a highly configurable CPU -
> > various ALU options can be enabled or disabled at will during the
> > hardware build phase.  We have several Kconfig options that must match
> > this, and which are used to generate the appropriate CFLAGS during
> > kernel build.  e.g.
> >
> > CPUFLAGS-$(CONFIG_XILINX_MICROBLAZE0_USE_DIV) += -mno-xl-soft-div
> > CPUFLAGS-$(CONFIG_XILINX_MICROBLAZE0_USE_BARREL) += -mxl-barrel-shift
> > CPUFLAGS-$(CONFIG_XILINX_MICROBLAZE0_USE_PCMP_INSTR) += -mxl-pattern-compare
> >
> [snip]

> > Thus, returning to the question - is there a sane way that we can
> > override or force the relevant CONFIG_ values, from within the
> > Makefile itself?   Or, must we resort to a script, and do it as a
> > preprocessing step?  Is there a reasonable way to still integrate this
> > into the kernel build phase?
>
> I thought that it was possible to override CONFIG_ symbols on the
> "make" command line, and my limited testing confirms that.
>
> E.g.:
>
> make ARCH=x86_64 O=xx64 defconfig
> make CONFIG_HEADERS_CHECK=y CONFIG_BUILD_DOCSRC=y ARCH=x86_64 O=xx64 -j4 all
>
> does cause BUILD_DOCSRC builds to happen although BUILD_DOCSRC is not set in
> the defconfig file.  (I set HEADERS_CHECK=y first since BUILD_DOCSRC depends
> on HEADERS_CHECK.)

Sure, this works.  What I'm wondering is if there is a valid way we
can do the override *inside* the kbuild process itself, ie in our arch
Makefile we could parse the DTS file and automagically update the
relevent CONFIG_* to match the DTS file.

Thoughts from any kbuild experts?  I can go hack something up but
would prefer to have some non-zero probability of future merge
acceptance.

Thanks,

John