Re: Integrating relocatable kernel build with kernel build

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the reply.

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
Hi Mohan.

Add the relevant target to the all: rule in arch/powerpc/Makefile

# Default to zImage, override when needed
all: zImage

I added vmlinux.reloc here and now by default vmlinux.reloc is also built.

And include support for the target in same file.

2. During build process, build is not able to build the vmlinux.reloc.lds linker script from the vmlinux.reloc.lds.S source file.

If you just add:
extra-y += vmlinux.reloc.lds

After including the above entry, make builds the linker script.

then it should happen automatically.
ee how all archs does it in arch/$ARCH/kernel/Makefile for vmlinx.lds

I did not look at it this time - lacking time.
But tr to provide a single unified diff next time - that i
at least remotely readable.

Another feature I am looking is to generate the "relocatable vmlinux" image in the top directory of kernel source and the intermediate vmlinux file either in arch/powerpc/kernel or arch/powerpc/boot.
We no longer build arch specific targets in the top-level directory
of the kernel src. We print out where to locate the build file.

Still need to build the final "relocatable vmlinux" image in the top
level directory of kernel source (either as vmlinux or vmlinux.reloc).

Once again thank you.

Regards,
Mohan.