Re: Kbuild Makefile output

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 07:03:55AM +0100, murtuja bharmal wrote:

> --- Joel Becker <Joel.Becker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > 1) Have the build name the output files
> > appropritately.  That is,
> > compile foo.c to foo-kernel.o and foo-userspace.o.
> > Then link as needed.
> > The makefile dependencies Just Work.
> >

> Thanks Joel,
> In case of Solution 1.
> what changes required in Makefile.
> I mean how to build foo-kernel.c from foo.c using
> kbuild makefile.

	I still prefer solution 2, but for solution 1, you could do
multiple things.  You could leave them as
them foo.o and foo-userspace.o.  That is, build the kernel drivers
without a rename.  Whatever you do, you're going to hvae to be
consistent.  So...

> Suppose this is my makefile
>
> obj-m := mymodule.o
>
> mymodule-objs += \
>          dir1/foo.o   \
>          dir2/bar.o
>
> all:
>          make -C /usr/src/linux M=`pwd` modules.
>
> I only want to change name for foo.c to foo-kernel.o,
> not for bar.c.

	Why would you do that?  bar.c is part of the kernel driver, so
it should be bar-kernel.o if you are renaming.  You don't have to
rename, of course.  You could use 'foo.o' for kernel objects and
'foo-userspace.o' for userspace objects.

Joel
--

"People with narrow minds usually have broad tongues."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker@xxxxxxxxxx