using initramfs with modules

Hi,

I want to build a kernel with initramfs image that contains some modules that are part of my kernel tree.
I created a file list and passed it as a parameter to the kernel configuration (make menuconfig).
That list contains the module names from my kernel tree (some *.ko files).
The problem is that the kernel build process builds usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz at a very early stage,
At which none of the modules were compiled yet.
The result is that on a fresh tree the build will fail, or if the modules exist, a stale build is taken into the initramfs archive.

Is this a known bug?
Is there a way to cause the initramfs image to be built last?

Thanks,

Jacob