Re: TPM error 0x0901, possibly related to TPM2_PT_CONTEXT_GAP_MAX

On Thu, 2024-04-04 at 18:09 +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> [...]
> Emphasis that I might have forgotten something but this is what I can
> remember right now.

What you forgot is that I did originally proposed session degapping in
the kernel resource manager but it was rather complex, so you made me
take it out for lack of a use case.  It dates back to when we used the
old sourceforge tpmdd list which seems to have caused message loss, so
I'm not sure how complete this thread is:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1484772489.2396.2.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

If I compare it to the fragment on sourceforge, you can see a bit more
of it (but sourceforge has lost the patch):

https://sourceforge.net/p/tpmdd/mailman/tpmdd-devel/thread/201702090906.v1996c6a015552%40wind.enjellic.com/#msg35656470

The reality is that unless you context save a session, you don't need
degapping and pretty much every TSS based use of sessions doesn't need
to save them, so people who construct TPM based systems rarely run into
this.  The exception is the tpm2-tools CLI project, which encourages
the context saving of sessions and thus can cause this.  We kept
tripping across this in the Keylime, but the eventual solution was to
dump the tpm2-tools dependency and do a direct TSS connection in the
Keylime agent.

James