Re: [RFC] IMA Log Snapshotting Design Proposal

On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 5:54 PM Mimi Zohar <zohar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-08-29 at 17:30 -0400, Paul Moore wrote:

> > > The main purpose of the change is to addres kernel memory pressure.
> > > Two designs are being discussed: Sush's "snapshotting" design and
> > > Amir's original suggestion of continously exporting the measurement
> > > records to a tmpfs or regular file.  Both designs require verifying the
> > > initial attestation quote by walking the entire measurement list,
> > > calculating the expected TPM PCR value(s).  That doesn't change.
> >
> > Sure, but my question is about what happens if portions of the
> > measurement list disappear due to file/filesystem problems?  How is
> > that handled?
>
> With the "snapshotting" solution there could be multiple files, so
> portions could be missing.  The other solution, the preferred solution,
> would be one file.

With the snapshotting approach the kernel doesn't need to maintain
ongoing access to a file, that is left up to the user process
performing the attestation (or simply inspecting the logs).  I have to
ask, for the third time now in as many hours, how does the proposed
kernel-holds-an-fd-open solution handle the case where the
file/filesystem is no longer accessible?  The snapshotting approach
should be much more resilient here as the error recovery paths can be
much more involved than what we would have available in the kernel,
not to mention the flexibility of allowing a user process to determine
how to store and manage the snapshotted log.

Considering that the snapshotting approach is opt-in (userspace has to
initiate the snapshot), I'm not sure the concern over log offsets is a
significant objection: existing userspace will never trigger a
snapshot, and new userspace that could potentially trigger a snapshot
should be written to take that into account.

--
paul-moore.com