Re: Seal/Unseal trusted keys against PCR policy

On Fri, 2023-01-06 at 16:23 -0600, William Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2023, 15:55 Ken Goldman <kgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/28/2022 5:48 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> > > The main thing you have to do is connect to the TPM not through
> > > the
> > > resource manager so the policy session survives multiple commands
> > >
> > > export TPM_DEVICE=/dev/tpm0
> >
> > Just FYI, as James says, command line utilities interact with the
> > resource manager.  When I want to run command line programs through
> > the
> > resource manager, I use a proxy to keep the /dev/tpmrm0 session
> > connected.
> >
> > https://github.com/kgoldman/ibmtss/blob/master/utils/tpmproxy.c hol
> > ds an
> > open source proxy.
> >

> If you need to do this in production that tpmproxy allows anyone to
> connect to it. So while it's open it would circumvent the permissions
> on /dev/tpmrm0. You can just use tpm2-tools, which uses contexts and
> avoids this problem.

The specific issue with this is that using contexts, no-one could
figure out a way to pass the session into the kernel:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-integrity/CADg8p94kTNkoByjLhEij3KkigLxhwU8PxnO82cRaO0Ejh7T3Zg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

How should this be done?

James