Re: User questions

Hi Russell,

> For typical uses of Linux you would want pre-signed executables.  You want to
> have the system running the programs to not have the signing key and provide
> the signatures from a trusted system.
>
> I've been thinking of having some sort of system that proxies the packages of
> software and creates signatures for them.  The default signing includes the
> Inode number of the file, that can be disabled or the system installing could
> say "give me a signature for /bin/bash from package bash version 5.2~rc2-2
> with Inode 27597791".

EVM portable & immutable signatures do not include the inode.

> The next issue is that the current kernel code doesn't allow signing unsigned
> files unless you boot with "ima_appraise=fix evm=fix" on the kernel command-
> line.  I've been thinking of writing a kernel patch to give a compile time
> option to remove that requirement.

When EVM is initialized to only support portable & immutable signatures
(no HMAC key), then the file metadata may be updated.  Refer to the
last paragraph of the cover letter:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-integrity/20210514152753.982958-1-roberto.sassu@xxxxxxxxxx/

--
thanks,