Re: User questions

On Thu, 2022-09-15 at 22:36 -0700, Ken Williams wrote:
> I am looking at Linux IMA to try and understand how it might be useful
> for my application.  I am playing around with it a bit now and as I do
> so, I am finding myself with questions about the usage model and user
> configuration.  With that opening, my first question is:
>
> Is this an acceptable forum for asking user and usage questions?
>
> If yes, then let me describe my environment;
> I am running an older kernel, 4.14.238, on a fsl device in a system
> that does not have a TPM although I am running an implementation of
> OP-TEE.  In my case, I want to do the best I can to prevent file
> modification, without considering off-line attacks.  My deployment
> mechanism is os-tree.
>
> When I look at the measurement capability, I cannot see how that can
> help since I do not have a TPM in which to anchor the measurements so
> it looks like I need to implement appraisal.  I did find this link,
> https://sourceforge.net/p/linux-ima/mailman/linux-ima-user/?viewmonth=201409&viewday=10,
> where Mimi says "Enabling IMA-appraisal is anything but simple". and I
> actually found that kind of re-assuring as it confirmed that my
> learning curve in this area may not be out of line.  My plan is to
> pre-sign the files prior to installation and I see that effort as
> being outside of the scope of my inquiries here.  So now, does it lookg
> like I am starting in the right direction?
>
> Thanks for reading through this and I welcome any comments.

Let's add some context to the above quote.  One of the differences
between IMA-appraisal and IMA-measurement is that IMA-appraisal
requires quite a bit of configuration (e.g. keys, signing files, and
policy).  This is in comparison to IMA-measurement, which requires just
a policy.

As long as the IMA-appraisal policy encompasses just those things that
can and should be signed, enforcing the IMA-appraisal policy is
straight forward:
- Create a local CA key and build it into the kernel.
- Create a public/private key pair signed by the local CA key
- Sign files.
- Load the public key on the IMA keyring.
- Load the IMA appraise policy.

Examples of the first 2 steps can be seen in the ima-evm-utils README.
Examples of the last two steps can be seen in dracut 98integrity
modules.  systemd can be configured to load an IMA custom policy.

--
thanks,

Mimi