Re: [oss-security] IMA gadgets

On Mon, 2022-01-03 at 01:44 +0300, Vitaly Chikunov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 11:13:11AM -0500, Mimi Zohar wrote:
> > On Tue, 2021-12-28 at 18:39 +0300, Vitaly Chikunov wrote:
> > >
> > > JFYI, there was a small discussion in oss-security [1] about IMA. Yes,
> > > it does not touch EVM in case of SUID. But the fact that filenames are
> > > never tracked in IMA/EVM does look like a major problem indeed.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > Thanks, Vitaly, for forwarding the oss-security link to the discussion.
> >
> > When I responded in a different thread[1], I mentioned protecting file
> > metadata is not IMA's responsibility, but EVM's.  I left out mentioning
> > file signatures provide provenance, which a hash does not.
> >
> > As for the filename not being protected, that is a known issue as well,
> > which was discussed at 2018 Linux Storage, Filesystem, and Memory-
> > Management Summit [2].
> > Dmitry Kasatkin years ago proposed protecting
> > the directory structure, but that support was limited to the first
> > directory level, not all the way up to the tree root.
>
> That's interesting. But protecting directory with xattr seems to have
> bad consequences, besides it's harder to calculate, it will be
> impossible to install additional binaries to the dir (like upgrading
> single package on the system). (If I understood correctly the idea.)

The proposed support was for directory hashes, not signatures, based on
the getdents syscall.  Only in ima-evm-utils v1.4 was the experimental
code for calculating the directory hash removed.

> What if we combine filename hash and directory inode number to the EVM
> signature?

Another approach could be based on Allison Henderson's 2018 LSF/MM talk
titled "XFS parent pointers" https://lwn.net/Articles/753480/, as
pointed out by Boaz Harrosh.

thanks,

Mimi