Re: tpm:warn(2.0): out of memory for object contexts

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 11:47 AM James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-09-03 at 10:07 -0500, William Roberts wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I maintain a lot of the userspace components in the tpm2-software
> > opensource community. We had a bug come in where we're getting oom
> > TPM errors when using /dev/tpmrm0. The bug seems to go away when we
> > use the userspace resource manager tpm2-abrmd. Thai leads me to
> > believe that there is a kernel bug.
> >
> > The question is, "is anyone aware of any bugs in the kernel RM that
> > could cause this?"
> >
> > The kernel version is:
> > 5.4.0-42-generic #46-Ubuntu
> >
> > The discussion can be found here:
> >   - https://github.com/tpm2-software/tpm2-pkcs11/issues/567
>
> That bug report is pretty unhelpful.  What specific error messages does
> the kernel give?

I'll ask for more details.

> I'm a heavy TPM key user (so lots of sessions and
> volatile handles) I run RSA keys through the TPM for all my openvpn
> sessions, ssh sessions and gpg transactions (mostly with RSA keys),
> admittedly using the IBM TSS, and I've never seen this in any of my

That shouldn't really matter. That error code shouldn't be possible when going
through an RM.

We've seen bugs in our own RM where if bindkey and tpmkey are the same,
we could hit this issue. Perhaps, similar issue in the in-kernel one. But,
that's just conjecture.