Re: IMA on remote file systems

On Tue, 2019-09-17 at 08:45 -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 09:30:31AM +0300, Janne Karhunen wrote:

> > Could the fs-verity be plugged in as a measurement mechanism in the
> > IMA? So rather than calling a hash function, call verity to measure
> > and add new set of IMA hooks to report violations that arise after
> > execution? IMA policy logic and functionality would be pretty much
> > unchanged.
>
> That is the plan, and it's not hard to do.  The question which I've
> raised is when should we do it, given that some people believe that
> pulling the entire file into memory and checksumming it at exec or
> open time is a feature, not a bug.
>
> Should we use the fs-verity merkel tree root hash as the measurement
> function unconditionally if it is present?  Or does IMA want to have
> some kind of tuning knob; and if so, should it be on a per-file system
> basis, or globally, etc. etc.  Those are IMA design questions, and
> I'll let the IMA folks decide what they want to do.

IMA doesn't hard code policy in the kernel, but is based on a single,
centralized policy, which contains measurement, appraisal, and audit
rules.  Just as the new IMA appended signature support (kernel module
signature format)[1] contains a new "appraise_type=imasig|modsig"
option, there would be a similar option for fs-verity.

Mimi

[1] Included in the v5.4 pull request.