appraisal reset safety

Hi,

I've setup an android based mobile device with pretty complete ima/evm
setup that covers just about all the standard use cases (imasig based
filesystems, ota support, factory reset support etc). All that is fine
and ima runs like a clock.

Since this is a mobile device, running out of battery or getting shot
in the head by something is always a realistic option. The random
resets seem to be leading into random appraisal failures as android
seems to be keeping surprisingly many files constantly open for
writing. So many actually, that I feel somewhat uneasy starting to
whitelist these files from the ima policy. That sounds like a viable
route only when it comes to the log files as those files primarily
move data only one way.

Now, is there any prior art on this how to make this work right? The
improvements that I can instantly think of are,
1) whitelist everything that can be,
2) reduce the vfs flush delays,
3) make it detect the reset condition and fix the known files when
that happened. Unsafe and requires a patch (but that seems easy).

Anything else?

--
Janne