Re: Should mprotect(..., PROT_EXEC) be checked by IMA?

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 1:11 AM Igor Zhbanov <i.zhbanov@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As for scripts interpreters like bash, yes, it will not protect against it.
> But IMA can check e.g. all files read by root including non-executable ones.

Non-JIT x86 emulators are basically just interpreters.

> My point was about better protecting of shared libraries making life harder
> for exploits that are downloading extra code from external servers.

Like you said, they can implement this by copying the code from
read-only pages to separate executable pages. It does make it harder,
but not to a huge degree - anything that's mprotect()ing file-backed
pages to PROT_EXEC later is presumably doing so to avoid IMA, and
making this change will just encourage them to add further
workarounds. Since this is a fight we literally can't win, what's the
benefit?