Re: How to generate and load evm-key in TPM less systems

[Cc'ing James Bottomley]

On Sun, 2018-07-29 at 23:46 +0530, rishi gupta wrote:
> Hi Integrity team,
>
> IMA is working fine in our embedded linux product and now we are trying to
> implement EVM. Our system does not have TPM but have trustzone and crypto
> engine. My question is:
>
> 1. What is the standard practice to generate and load evm-key in systems
> that does not have TPM.

TPMs are really cheap.   Convince your product group to include a TPM?

"encrypted" keys can be decrypted either by a "trusted" or a "user"
type key, but the latter is not considered safe and should be limited
to test environments.

Udit Agarwal recently suggested defining a new key type named "secure"
keys, but didn't explain what made them secure.  The "secure" key type
was limited to CAAM.

> 2. Suppose we have an encrypted key which has been decrypted and loaded in
> kernel. Isn't it an attacker can analyse RAM and get the evm-key. Am I
> missing something here.

No, what you're saying is true.  In a secure, locked down environment
analyzing kernel memory (should still) requires root privileges.

Mimi