Re: linux-next: UEFI Secure boot lockdown patchset

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 2:50 PM Mimi Zohar <zohar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-05-01 at 21:02 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Hm. My concern is that distributions are going to ship IMA in a
> > configuration that allows users to add their own keys at boot time (it's
> > difficult to use it in a generic way otherwise), and that's going to
allow
> > kexecing of arbitrary images without requiring physical access. I think
> > kexec_file_load() needs to be relying on non-IMA signatures.

> I don't see how.  Unless the kernel was built with extra room for a
> local CA public key (CONFIG_SYSTEM_EXTRA_CERTIFICATE), which would be
> loaded onto the builtin keyring, there is no way of adding keys to the
> IMA keyring.  Adding the extra public key would require the kernel to
> be resigned.

Oh, is kexec verified off the _module keyring? We still end up with the
problem that distributions don't have a mechanism to ship IMA signatures
yet, but that avoids the user modification problem. I've just posted a
patchset to debian-dpkg, we'll see how that goes.