Re: TPM selftest failure in 4.15

On Thu, 2018-02-15 at 14:12 +0200, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 12:47:10PM +0100, Alexander Steffen wrote:
> > >
> > > For the self-test the duration falls down to 2 seconds as the specs do
> > > not contain any well-defined duration for it, or at least I haven't
> > > found it.
> > >
> > > I see three alternative ways the fix the self-test:
> > >
> > > 1. Execute self-test with fullTest = YES.
> >
> > I had proposed some fixes in this direction last year:
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10105483/
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10130535/
> >
> > Those combine the fast test execution with fullTest = NO for spec-compliant
> > TPMs with a fallback to fullTest = YES.
>
> The first was accepted.
>
> The 2nd wasn't accpeted mainly for reasons that for me only acceptable
> dependency is:
>
> 1. Patch that is part of the same patch set.
> 2. A merged commit.
>
> I didn't event look at the code for the second one at that point because
> it was formally done wrong.
>
> What it is doing would be acceptable for me. I still think that TPM
> should be fully tested before letting IMA for example to use it.

Why?  The short selftest has worked fine up to now.  The full selftest
delays the TPM way too long and causes IMA to go into TPM-bypass mode.
 The faster the TPM is available, the better for IMA.

It seems all commands, except selftest, the code sleeps in a loop and
checks for the command to finish, but doesn't resend the command.
 Only for selftest is the command resent, instead of just waiting for
it to complete.  Is there any reason for this?

Mimi