Re: IMA appraisal master plan?

On Thu, 2017-11-16 at 10:23 +0100, Roberto Sassu wrote:
> On 11/16/2017 3:13 AM, Mimi Zohar wrote:

> With the default appraisal policy, it can't. IMA determines if a file
> must be appraised depending on metadata whose integrity has not been
> verified yet. A root process is able to load appraised files with
> i_uid = 0 and files with missing/invalid HMAC and i_uid != 0, at the
> same time.

The LSMs are responsible for protecting their own labels.  They have
the opportunity to verify and deny access to files based on LSM
labels, BEFORE IMA-appraisal is called to verify the file's integrity.

Look at security/security.c and see that IMA is called AFTER the
LSMs.  The same is true for the other IMA hooks, that are not co-
located with LSM hooks.  For example, the security_file_open hook is
called before the ima_file_check() hook.

Mimi